Saturday, December 26, 2015

Giving Presents to Find Presence

As the year draws to a close, the time is ripe for reflective moments. Most recently, of the Christmas celebrations with family and friends. I took a new approach this year and worked on giving myself what I could afford of the dream gifts inside my mind.Tickets and plans for a glamorous night out where I might actually wear my tiara and call myself Queen, new clothes that flattered me in the ways I knew would best, things to read and dedicated time to write. Some gifts lay clad in shimmery paper and glistening bows under the tree with the rest, while others, in my mind remain, as promises to self.


Indeed, it’s become the gift that keeps on giving. In spending precious time, creativity and generous energy planning and giving presents to myself, I’ve given presence to myself. For someone who’s given to the point of feeling often, given out, relishing in those things that make my heart sing, give me presence, time and energy; a different kind of prioritizing to the one person I have learned to ignore, push back and make excuses for so long that it is now the norm.


How are you present in your own life? Are you like I’ve been for so long that you’ve forgotten who you really are or what makes you feel childhood glee or have you gone so far the other end that you are only present with yourself? So devoured by your own needs that you don’t see those who love you for who and what they are, for the gifts they have and for the presence they would like to share with you. As we get older, both are popular paths.


So, as 2016 is about to dawn, I challenge you to see where your presence really is. Under a tree among other tossed aside toys, engulfed in self hatred or selfishness? Or is it in the moment filling your spirit so you can shine and inspire others to do the same?

It’s ironic the presents, reminded me of the presence I have given to everyone but me. And this discovery, is my gift to you. Cheers to daily  presence in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Reactions? Your feedback is welcomed. I don't know what you're thinking unless you share. Looking for something specific, let me know!