Thursday, December 24, 2015

Inspired by The First Full Day of Winter

Image result for winter darkness

The first full day of Winter
And the darkness inside me is almost as deeply entrenched.
As the year draws to a close,
And I look to 2016 to be bigger, better and truer,
I have to ask where my mind is and how
I will be the change
I want to see.
And not just for others, this time, for me.

I look back at so many times
I sacrificed what I truly wanted for excuses.
That my not having would make someone else happy.
Then, it became,”well, no one is going to make me happy
So I might as well make others happy,
To “give and maybe, one day, you will get.”

And here I am,
All given out,
Used up and feeling thrown out
So even the smallest of caring gestures
Is overlooked and taken
In jest and joust.

Here I am,
Owning responsibility for
Others taking that giving for granted.
Blaming me for not hearing the phone ring.
For laughing alone in the the theater
Or toasting “Salud,” with my invisible twin.

So winter with it’s short days and engulfing darkness
Befriend me and the healing
That must begin
So this is the end
Of the deepest, darkest, saddest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Reactions? Your feedback is welcomed. I don't know what you're thinking unless you share. Looking for something specific, let me know!